Bringing zombies back to life: Ignite employees’ passion
Halloween is approaching, and it’s got us thinking about zombies at work—those lifeless people that just go through the motions, working for a paycheck, but never really feeling excited about their work or engaged in their day-to-day activities. While your employees should take some responsibility for fueling their passion on the job, you play a big role too. Follow these tips presented in Successful Onboarding: Making New Hires’ First 90 Days Count to spark employees’ passion early on—and keep it burning:
- Communicate your passion. Your energy and enthusiasm are contagious. If you focus on the negatives, your pessimism will spread. Conversely, if you are visibly proud of your organization and its employees, your passion will disseminate too.
- Solicit employees’ input. Employees will be more engaged and passionate about their work if they know you value their insights, opinions and ideas. On the other hand, employees who feel neglected and unappreciated work only for a paycheck.
- Share positive customer feedback. Too often praise from customers does not make it down to the employees who most deserve it: the ones on the front line. Celebrate those compliments with the whole team. You’ll raise morale and remind your staff that their hard work affects real people. That message increases motivation and passion.
- Demonstrate how every employee’s contribution matters. Employees who can’t see how their work leads to the organization’s success are unlikely to become personally invested. Explain to your team how each person’s efforts help the organization reach its goals. If employees recognize their value, they will work more enthusiastically.
Turnover-related expenses can add up to 200% of an employee’s salary. Regardless of your industry—or your employees’ pay rates—that kind of loss just can’t be justified.
However, there is a solution to reducing costly turnover: An effective onboarding program drastically increases the odds that your new hires will stick around for the long haul. The first 90 days on the job are critical to new hires’ long-term success with your organization, so make the most of every minute.
Successful Onboarding: Making New Hires’ First 90 Days Count provides you with a process for bringing new employees into your organization the right way. From the moment you extend your verbal offer, you will know what to do next to welcome employees, make them feel like part of the team and guide them to success.
This training kit includes the following:
- The 16-minute video Professional Conduct 101: Vital Skills for New Employees, with a Trainer’s Guide and a Viewer’s Guide (a $149 value).
- The 60-minute audio conference presentation Turning Good Employees Into Great Ones (a $229 value).
- A 61-page workbook stuffed full of best practices, guides, tips, quizzes and more.
- Dozens of print-ready and customizable forms that team leaders and employees can reference again and again.
If it’s management training you need, WorkplaceTrainingCenter.com is your one-stop shop for professional development!