Master valuable negotiation techniques

Master valuable negotiation techniques

Problem: When you were promoted to management, you thought: “Thank goodness. Now that I have some authority, I can finally get things done.” You quickly learned, however, that your new position didn’t come with any sort of “What I say goes” special powers. Your team still needs plenty of convincing when you’re implementing a change; sometimes you don’t feel like they’re on board with you at all. You certainly don’t feel like your promotion brought you any more sway with your boss and the rest of upper-level management. What gives? Where’s that authority that you were expecting?

Solution: Influence and authority aren’t automatically granted with promotions and pay raises. You have to earn the respect of your team and your boss before they will trust and buy in to your ideas. Fortunately, there are negotiation techniques that you can use to speed the buy-in process. Follow these tips to gain your team’s and supervisor’s trust and respect:

  • Enter the conversation positively. If you expect to be blown off by your boss or unsupported by your team, you may reveal your lack of confidence. They might interpret that as a lack of confidence in your idea, which would make them less likely to accept it. Instead, view the conversation as an exciting opportunity. You’re not trying to dupe anyone; you’re pitching an idea that will benefit your team and your organization. Anticipate a win-win, and you’ll likely get it.
  • Pay attention to the signals the other person sends. Meet face to face whenever you’re attempting to influence others. That allows you to take your cues from their body language. If the person is sending you negative signals such as crossed arms or impatient finger tapping, assess the cause. Is the person dealing with a more pressing issue that is causing him or her stress? If so, reschedule the talk so you won’t be fighting an uphill battle.
  • Emphasize unity. When trying to convince your team to accept an idea or change, present your case as a member of the team. Use the pronoun “We” rather than “I” and “You” to show how your plan affects the whole group—including yourself. Example: “We’ve all been frustrated with the setbacks this past week. As we adopt this new software, we’ll hit a few snags, but we’ll work through them.” Position yourself as your boss’s ally by using “We” as you explain how your idea will lead to reaching the organization’s goals.
  • Listen more than you talk. A good rule of thumb when pitching an idea is to speak for 20% of the time, and listen and ask questions for the remaining 80%. That will help you understand where other people are coming from so that you can better respond to their concerns. It will also stop you from rambling on and putting your foot in your mouth.

Negotiation Skills for Managers and Leaders

Learn the rules and techniques for better negotiating in this 60-minute audio conference with business coach Natalie R. Manor. Get the road map that will show you how to ask the right questions, consider the outcomes and weigh what is most important in your negotiations.

You’ll learn how to:

  • Recognize and correctly read the signals the other person is sending you.
  • Think about what the other party needs and wants.
  • Create a negotiating agenda that works for everyone.
  • Adjust your negotiation tactics for men and women.
  • Use your own strengths and talents to achieve outstanding results.
  • Enhance your confidence and improve your success rate with win-win techniques.
  • Communicate easily with all levels of business and people.
  • Design a strategy for negotiating that works every time.

Order today!


Click here to receive Bud to Boss: Take 5 once a month, delivered straight to your inbox!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Bud to Boss Take 5 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s