Continue your professional growth
by Amy Beth Miller, editor, Communication Briefings
We were pleased to see all that you, our readers, do to improve your work skills. In response to last month’s poll we learned that:
- 80% subscribe to publications.
- 70% attend training workshops and seminars.
- 60% connect with colleagues through industry associations and/or online.
- 50% read books, and an equal number read blogs.
However, only 30% of you have a mentor. A recent study from the University of Nebraska showed that informal mentorships can be more effective than formal training in developing leaders. Bottom line: Find a mentor you trust, and be open to criticism.
In honor of Black History month, and to inspire your professional development, we share these quotes:
“Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.” —Booker T. Washington, educator
“I can do something else besides stuff a ball through a hoop. My biggest resource is my mind.” —Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, professional basketball player and author
“All great achievements require time.” —Maya Angelou, author
“The potential for greatness lives within each of us.” —Wilma Rudolph, Olympic gold medalist
“If you are going to achieve excellence in big things, you develop the habit in little matters. Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude.” —Colin Powell, four-star general and U.S. Secretary of State
“The greatest education in the world is watching the masters at work.” —Michael Jackson, singer
“I used to want the words ‘She tried’ on my tombstone. Now I want ‘She did it.’” —Katherine Dunham, dancer, choreographer and activist
Find more inspirational quotes on our Wise Words board at Pinterest.
Become an Inspired Leader
Inspired Leadership: Propel Your Employees to New Heights provides you with advice for more effectively leading your team or organization. Learn the keys to becoming a respected and trusted leader, to building employee loyalty, and to driving creativity at every level in your organization.
This multimedia resource includes:
- The 17-minute video Bottom-Up Innovation: Unleash the Creative Intelligence of Everyone in Your Organization, with a companion Trainer’s Guide and Viewer’s Guide.
- The 60-minute audio conference presentation No Leader Does It Alone: Empower Your Team to Succeed!
- A 65-page workbook stuffed full of best practices, guides, tips, quizzes and more.
- A Customizable, Print-Ready Forms CD that trainers and trainees can reference again and again.
Click here to receive the Communication Briefings E-Letter each month.