All together now!
Collaborate on your next speech
If you need a fresh approach for your next speech, presentation coach Patricia Fripp suggests collaborating with a trusted colleague or friend to generate ideas and share techniques.
Fripp regularly collaborates with at least two other people. During one brainstorming session, she and her collaborators had a conversation that they will never forget. As one of them humorously recounted an experience in the hospital, Fripp took notes. Afterward, they were left with the skeleton of a hilarious and heartwarming speech.
Last month, we asked “Do you collaborate on speeches?” and we were pleasantly surprised to see that nearly 76% of you collaborate on some level when you are preparing speeches and presentations.
Follow these steps adapted from the Essentials of Effective Teamwork training kit to make the most of your collaboration effort:
- Look at the larger picture. Focus on the end result, whether the presentation you’re creating is educational or promoting a product. Discuss the goals of the presentation and share anecdotes and ideas that support those goals.
- Think cooperation, not competition. Brainstorm together and consider everyone’s ideas. Don’t disregard others’ input because you want to put your mark on the presentation or because you want to outshine the rest of the group.
- Communicate openly. Set these two ground rules: 1) Participants will weigh in if they are concerned about the direction the presentation is headed and 2) you won’t force an idea if everyone doesn’t agree on it.
- Show respect for each other. Stick to the common rules of courtesy. Show up to your planning sessions on time, and devote your entire attention to the session. Don’t text, make calls or keep your collaborators waiting for any reason.
This comprehensive multimedia product teaches team leaders how to lay a foundation for effective teamwork, covering basic principles and strategies for leading high-performance and successful teams. In addition, it provides team leaders with 12 Core Values of Teamwork Lessons to diagnose the weaknesses on their teams, correct problem areas and reinforce powerful teamwork messages with their own staffs.
The Essentials of Effective Teamwork training kit is an essential resource for getting back to the basics of solid, effective teamwork. Team leaders will discover how to:
- Show employees respect and gain their respect.
- Build cooperation and collaboration.
- Foster trust.
- Communicate more effectively.
- Spur creativity.
- Increase professionalism and workplace etiquette.
- And so, so much more!
This multimedia resource includes:
- A 22-minute video, Teambuilding Techniques That Work, with a Trainer’s Guide and a Viewer’s Guide.
- A 60-minute audio conference presentation, Creating High-Performance Teams, with a companion PowerPoint presentation.
- A 64-page workbook stuffed full of best practices, guides, tips, quizzes and more.
- Dozens of print-ready and customizable forms team leaders and the employees can reference again and again.
Join the conversation! Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!
Delivered each month, American Speaker Forum offers you public-speaking advice and tips for wowing your audience during your next presentation. This resource also offers you a way to ask for feedback on your next speaking engagement and to share your own experience with your colleagues.